Traveling with a Hex Map

Recently, I've started expanding on my world in a more micro scale, from cities, towns, and snippets of the larger world map. When you first start as a DM, or as a veteran of your craft even, starting in a small world view, and expanding out as you and your players roll play is a great way to keep from becoming overwhelmed with research or, trying to keep track of a ton of things at once. 
I started making my maps using the square grid model. I found that when using square grids, there's always a bit of a directional problem for flanking when in combat. Then I found, the hex grid. 
Now that I'm making my own maps, hex grids are superior to the usual square grid. With a square grid, there's two issues: the distance measurement diagonally and how to work out the adjacency rule. With hex grids, you have the easy movement around a target on the board or map where you can go in any direction. I especially like them as a good reference point as well on larger maps. With diagonal movement, adjacent squares can suddenly share only a single point as a border and I find often limits the imagination. 

A snippet of our current campaign map of Lake Nod around the town of Anminster.
There's a really good diagram of how area-of-effect works out on a hex map as well as the size differences for creatures/monsters for the game world. 

The Hypertext d20 SRD - the ultimate d20 system reference Click here to see the map layouts

Not to mention the fact that using a map of any kind, a hex map in particular, for the players, can really bring the world to life, and give them a more tangible view of your world as well as their own future goals. Do they see a bare spot on the map, or a marker that is currently unnamed? Maybe there's an evil wizard or a secret village just over the horizon. 

Making a hex map is the easy part, a simple png hex grid over top of a homemade map is fine. It's the making the map that can be taxing, but I assure you, if you're new to world building, it can really jump start you as a Dungeon Master.

There are many tools you can use, I personally am a cheap DM and like to use Photoshop. You can find free for personal use brushes that make adding in trees and hills easy. Deviantart.com has many cartography brush artists to choose from, as well as map making ideas. 

At game time, myself and the players had a great time. They'd look at the map, I'd roll for a chance encounter per hex as they traveled towards their destination, and the terror they'd experience at each hex as their hit points were getting lower, and demanding short rests and campsites, made the game for me, both challenging and extremely fun! 

The hex map of the vicinity, for my players, was a super cool thing and was a great addition to the game play.

Do you have a fantastic hex map you made yourself? I'd love to see it! Feel free to share!





Comments

Popular Posts